I had some overripe bananas to use up, so I figured I would do something with them on my day off. Initially I was going to do a traditional banana loaf, but the problem with loaves is that once you slice into one, it can dry out pretty quick if you don’t eat the lot.
So enter portion-sizes. I made the same recipe but just doled it out into individual cupcake casings. And this is definitely a cupcake as it is very sweet, with a cakey texture, and not at all healthy.
The naked part is that I didn’t put any frosting on it (because I’m trying to be healthier, cut down on calories, joined the gym, etc), but this would go so well with cream cheese frosting, peanut butter frosting, or caramel frosting!
Ugh… now I wish I have gone and done the frosting because talking about it is making me salivate.
Anyway, on with the recipe:
Naked Banana CupcakesMakes: 16 medium cupcakes (or 12 large ones)Ingredients:140 g softened butter, unsalted
130g caster sugar
2 large eggs
3 medium very/over-ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla paste
200g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp saltMethod:
- Preheat oven to 175 deg C.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in mashed bananas and vanilla paste.
- Sift self-raising flour, baking powder and salt together. Gently fold dry mix into wet mix until just incorporated.
- Divide mix into muffin tins until each hole is 3/4 filled, lined or not lined is your preference. If you don’t line it, you have to grease it.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until lightly browned on top and a cocktail stick comes out clean when poked into the centre of a cupcake.
- Allow to cool in tins for 10 minutes and then turn out into cooling rack to cool completely. Or eat whilst warm… that’s what we do in this house!
I really like baking because it’s like free air-freshener thrown in… the house smells amazing right now and even the husband remarked on it when he got home from work, but it makes me hungry all the time!
Speaking of the husband, he ate one and liked it so much that he ate two more (even though he said he was going to leave one of them for later). This is from a man who doesn’t like large portions of food! Good review then. 🙂
This currently comes up as 168kcal per medium cupcake. Next time, I’m going to try to make a healthier version with less fat or sugar or less both, not decided yet. And replace white flour with wholemeal, and maybe put in some nuts… I’ll let you know how that turns out.